A message from Bree

Hi there friends,

I suppose some of you may already know, and if not, well, here it is. Derek's condition changed very quickly over the last few days, and on Sunday he let me know that he was shutting down and wanted to start hospice care. That night, he was coughing and uncomfortable. Neither of us slept hardly at all. I wasn't sure that we would make it to the next day. He kept asking what time is it? I would say 3... 3:30... 4... etc until somehow we got to the morning. Alpen was in there with us most of the night too, somehow peacefully asleep.

With considerable effort, he, David and I made it to his Monday morning clinic appointment while Oma and the Lovells watched Alpen and helped around the house. He spent most of the day there, feeling quite uncomfortable with pain from an absolutely awful cough, receiving platelets while everything was set up for hospice at home. He was needing oxygen to breathe, but had also taken out the plug from a bloody nose that had been on and off again for almost a week and was worried the air flow would dislodge the clot holding it all together. We were all fearful of a bloody nose or other type of bleed, which would be extremely undesirable at this phase. He was transported by AMR home. Although he wasn't able to communicate much, he and I still rolled our eyes together as the AMR medics took about 100 years figuring out how to move him from the vehicle to the house (let's just say there was a "stair chair" and several lengthy discussions of options involved). He let me know that he saved a recording of himself reading his wedding vows to me, among many other videos he made over the past six weeks. Although the project is mostly directed to Alpen or other a few other loved ones, I hope I can share some of the more lighthearted ones here in the days to come. 

Hospice care was set up with the bed in the living room as he had previously indicated was his preference. He intermittently wore the oxygen mask. At some point he asked me why I cared so much that he wear it? Since I was constantly trying to reattach it. Of course I wanted a little more time. But, it was clear he was in so much pain and discomfort. Moving at all caused him to cry out. Eventually we all drifted to various parts to try to sleep while Marian stayed up. From the outset, he was still reluctant with the mask and his breathing was somewhat labored, although he said he was comfortable in that respect. Around 3 AM, on this day September 29th, 2020, he passed away peacefully in his bed. We can only assume that he was ready and chose this path to suit him, and us the best. We always want more time, but there would never, ever be enough. After he passed, we took time this morning to say goodbye. I read our vows again myself to him, as true now as they were four years ago.

These are roughly the facts, but there's no way to describe everything in between these notes. The depth of the pain and the weight of this loss are ineffable. Derek was a light in this world and the sun that kept Alpen - and especially me - growing in our lives. He was an absolutely positive and optimistic person who brought so much joy that I would never have found otherwise. He was an incredibly thoughtful and caring son, brother, father, brother-in-law, nephew, cousin, uncle, husband, and friend. I know how much he loved and appreciated the incredibly wide and giving circle of support that has enveloped our little family ever since this all started, 7 years and 11 months ago, with his Halloween diagnosis. It's unbelievably cruel that he, of all people, was dealt this hand in life. But he always accepted that fact, and pointed to everything we DID do and everything and everyone he touched in his 33 years of life. He never pitied himself and never wanted to be seen or understood only through his experience with cancer.

I hope you all can call to mind a memory of him and his whole self, and hold that in your heart always. I hope you will help me remember him, and in the years to come help Alpen learn over time about his dad. Otherwise, there is nothing you can do for us right now than hold us in your hearts and give your love. I will probably add some additional information in coming time for example on what we might do further down the road to celebrate his life together. 

I wanted to share a photo or two from Derek's Point Blue Bird-A-Thon day a week ago (here's his page) and the cake picture since he mentioned it on the last post. Once I get into his e-bird I will be able to share everything he saw, but I can tell you he was absolutely ecstatic about the day he had, at a newly discovered favorite birding spot on Whidbey, Crockett Lake. 


Dressed up for the Big Day out

Back at Biz Point


The annual cake photo, in tradition started by my parents. Although Alpen has joined ours since he arrived.

On our way back to Seattle, Derek convinced me to stop at this farm for pumpkins and squash despite my protestations that it was probably about to close (which it was, but which need not prevent us from being the last customers of the day!)


Comments

  1. This is a really beautiful post. Thank you for sharing this with his community. George and I went over to Flying Lion in Derek’s memory this afternoon and talked about the times we shared with Derek, you and Alpen. Love and strength to you and the family xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our hearts are breaking here, Bree. But your post really shows what love and richness you brought to each other and this will be a comfort to Alpen in the future I’m sure. And to the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a beautiful post for a wonderful person

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for writing this, Bree. Can't imagine what it took to do it today, but I know this community deeply appreciates it. The loss is staggering. Holding Derek in my heart always, and you and Alpen too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for writing this, Bree. Me and Mike and Audrey are sending you and Alpen all the love we have, and I will do my very best to take a page out of Derek’s book and bring positivity and optimism to each of my days. Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Bree. I'm immensely grateful to you and Derek for keeping us all so close today and over the years. We are right next to you now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bree, we are holding you and Alpen in our hearts. As hard and beautiful as it was to read your post, I can only imagine the strength it took to write- thank you. We will plan to head to Pt Reyes in his honor this weekend. To watch the sand pipers and waves and teach ourselves about a few new bird species.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful post and loved seeing the happy pictures of your family. My deepest condolences Briana...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Briana - this is truly moving and beautiful. Thank you for sharing - the love is overflowing. My thoughts are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending you lots of love Bree and Alpen. Thank you for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. David (Derek's father)September 30, 2020 at 11:10 AM

    Beloved Briana. This blog post is so eloquent and beautifully written. Last night, I reflected on Derek’s posts over the years. I’ll share a few thoughts for everyone, but especially for you.

    I accompanied Derek to most clinic visits. As far as I know, when Derek was approached to participate in a research study regarding leukemia, Derek always volunteered. He not only did citizen science for bird research, but he also contributed to medical science and improving care for future generations—for people he will never know.

    The blog reminds me of how your sister Myra supported you so often, with her laughter, love, friendship, and trust. And Jonathan did the same for his brother and best friend, Derek.

    When I learned that you and Derek shared your wedding vows again before he died, I was so incredibly touched by the beauty of that moment. When you and Derek first said the vows, a brass solo played the song, “What a Wonderful World,” popularized by Louis Armstrong. Derek knew this song from his childhood backpacking trips. For me, the song says that love between two people needs to happen in a larger context— of a community of friends and family “shaking hands.” This has been true for the Lovebuch family. I can’t find the words to express my deep gratitude to the large number of friends and family who have so steadfastly supported you. The last two verses are:

    The colors of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky, are also on the faces, of people going by.
    I see friends shaking hands, saying “How do you do?” They’re really saying, “I love you.”
    I hear babies cry. I watch them grow. They’ll learn much more than I’ll ever know.
    And I think to myself, what a wonderful world. Yes I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

    Indeed, Derek was always positive. In his posts, I hear Derek saying to me and to all of us: “You know, even with the leukemia and all the challenges Briana and I had to face, it is a wonderful world. Live each day fully. Stay positive. Share love.”


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a friend of Derek's parents from U of I and my heart and prayers are with you all. I am grateful I could bear witness to Derek and your family's journey through this blog and Marian's notes. I have been deeply affected and inspired by Derek's honest, insightful and introspective blog posts. I have learned so much about living from Derek and your family, and it has caused me to re-evaluate my own life and priorities. From deep inside my heart, I want to thank you for giving me a "window" into Derek and your experiences and journey. My hero until now was Eleanor Roosevelt. Move over Eleanor - Derek Buchner has bumped you out of first place on my hero list.
      Sending love and prayers. Your friend, Laura Payne

      Delete
  13. Sending all my love to you and your family, Briana. Thank you for the beautiful post and letting us know how to support you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joshua Ethan DieterichSeptember 30, 2020 at 4:02 PM

    sending light, love, and hope to you and your family. I've come to understand how special Derek was through my work at Point Blue. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so very sorry to hear of Derek's passing. He fought a valiant battle with such dignity and grace. He is an inspiration to everyone. I send love and prayers to the family and will always remember Derek. Much love,
    Shauna and Greg

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holding you in my heart and sending you love Briana. Thanks so much for sharing with me and others the love you and Derek shared - it is beautiful to behold and will always be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such beautiful, heartfelt messages from you and David. You bring me to tears as I think back on all we have learned from Derek, about his life’s gifts and passions, through his “upbeat” documentation of his rigorous battles medically, and his love and appreciation for his family who all made the difficult journey at his side. I am in awe of all of it. May you each find comfort in days ahead. Jeanne and Scott Martin

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing this Bree. I knew Derek from high school and had the pleasure of visiting him during his summer in Chijnaya. I happen to be visiting my parents in Dunwoody right now, and last night my mom and I walked up to the Buchner/Huhman house to think about Derek and say kaddish (Jewish prayer of mourning). Sending much love to you, Alpen, and everyone else who knows and loves Derek. --Robin Tolochko

    ReplyDelete
  19. My heart is with you and Alpen and all your family. You and Derek have gone through this with such love and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bree,
    Your post is wonderful in so many ways. I don’t want to stop thinking of Derek in the present tense. I will reread your post over the next weeks and it will ease my transition from Derek in the present tense to Derek in the past tense. As a friend of mine wrote me this morning, “It feels as if a very special species has just gone extinct; the echo of such an enormous loss will go on for a long time.” I would add that the positive echo of who he was and the lessons of how he lived will stay with us forever.

    One of those echoes that will stay is that, as his mom, I watched him face yet another procedure, yet another day hardly able to do more than get off the couch, yet another admission to the hospital, another long day at SCCA or a morning of filling his day’s pillbox of 30 or more pills. I felt discouraged for him and feared that this day; he would finally be angry or show bitterness and be despondent. But, he didn’t. He was always the same Derek—resolute, uncomplaining, maybe upbeat and ready with a funny quip or observation that normalized the moment. I ALWAYS felt the anxiety go away as soon as I saw him. That was remarkable and was huge in easing my mother-worry over these 8 years.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We at Garden Cycles were privileged to have Derek's quiet integrity and intellect contribute to our company mission. We all appreciated his unique and rare qualities - he will be deeply missed. I hope we can express our love and wishes to all who loved Derek, and hope we can somehow help fulfill Derek's desire to leave this world a better place, to plant his beloved madrones.

    Derek's environmental mission will live on in his construction of a website intended to share our experience battling invasive plants and restoring native plant communities: http://www.seedrain.org/. Steve Richmond

    ReplyDelete
  22. I only met Derek a couple of times earlier in his life, but with the notes and conversations with Marian over the recent years and his blog, I feel I met the man. Like others who have commented, he impacted me significantly. He made me want to be better, to show more grace, to live more determinedly. It is equally clear that he was a lover - of nature, of family, of life itself, and wasn't afraid to show it. How could we not be moved. A life cut tragically too short, but lived as beautifully as I could only hope to do. My hugs and tears to Bree and Alpen, Marian, David and Jonathan. Keep shining his love light out. It is not extinguished, but shines on through us.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Bree- thank you so much for this thoughtful post. I was at Palo with Derek when he was an intern there. He was such an exceptionally wonderful person- and I was so happy for him when he married and had a beautiful baby! If Alpen ever wants to hear stories about his dad, I am here for that! Derek truly was incredible, as you know, and it sounds like he was lucky to have you on his life as well.
    Holding you and your family in my heart.
    Love, Lara

    ReplyDelete
  24. It was with great sadness that I learned this evening of Derek's passing. I'd been dreading the day when I knew such news would come, but one can never be fully prepared for it. It was my privilege to know Derek through is work for The Chijnaya Foundation in Peru. During the years of our volunteer program, Derek was without doubt the most popular volunteer to live in the community, in part, but only in part, because of their admiration of his soccer skills and scoring two goals for the local team. No, he was popular and loved just because of who he was, a warm, caring person. I know the people of Chijnaya will be sharing in our grief and mourning his passing. Como dirian ellos, Q.E.P.D. May he rest in peace, knowing that others will continue to work on the tasks he cared about.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bree- I just wrote my comment but now can't see it posted. I have a google account but used the drop down for my name. Does it take time to show up?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'll try again......Dear Bree- I was finally getting around to call Derek this morning, but didn't have his number. I checked the blog and learned of his passing. I'm heartbroken that I didn't get to to talk to or see him. I had been very out of touch, thinking he was well again, until I got an e-mail from him a few weeks ago when he sent me a bunch of photos from our Goshawk survey in NM years ago. He was the BEST FIELD PARTNER I ever had. His thoughtfulness and GREAT SPIRIT made the work go well. I miss him greatly, and I'm so glad that you were there with him till the end.
    I hope I can meet you and Alpen, and Derek's family before too long. He will live in my heart forever.
    I will be spending more time reading Derek's incredible blog entries. (I hope they will stay available.)
    Its also great to "see" and hear from D's wide ranging "family" of friends, and his great contributions to wildlife conservation worldwide.
    Please stay in touch and feel free to contact me any time.
    Love and Peace-
    Brian "Bari" Long
    575-770-8399
    brianjaylong@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bree - Can you send me your e-mail? Thanks- Brian Bari

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. We have never met but I knew Derek when he was Alpen's age. He looks so much like his daddy. I am so very sorry for your loss. I will continue to hold you in my heart and thoughts. I hope that soon you will be able to smile, minus the mistiness, when you think of your life together. He was taken much too soon...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Note for anyone having trouble commenting without a google account - to the right of where it says "comment as" click the drop-down menu and change to "name/url". Then you can write in a name, leave the "url" field blank, and you should be able to comment! Hope that helps, breezy